Thursday, February 17, 2011

A healthy, happy lifestyle:)

Trying to balance a full time school schedule, a part time job and a social life with a healthy life style can be tricky. Luckily, I've been able to snag a few tricks that keep me energized and fueled throughout a stress-filled week.


1. Food, food, food! Most important component to surviving an 8-9 hour work (or school) day is making sure you are eating a healthy, well-balanced diet. Lots of protein, veggies, and healthy fats are key! I've found that eating small snacks throughout the day gives me more energy than a 3-meal a day plan. So in the morn I usually have a bowl of grapefruit (helps speed up your metabolism and is so yummy!) I ALWAYS pack snacks! And yes, I whip them out and eat them in class;) For dinner, I usually make some kind of salad ( I really like asparagus, tomatoes and bell peppers) and chicken, tuna or salmon.

Snacks usually consist of the following:
yogurt with fruit and nuts
apples (sometimes with pb)
a banana
celery with pb
a bag of carrots
applesauce
tuna either plain or over a bed of lettuce with tomatoes and other yummy veggies


2. Hittin' up the gym. Making sure you get plenty of exercise is SUPER important. A 3 mile walk/jog, a spinning or kick box class, yoga, free weights are all great ways to make your body love and hate you at the same time. You know you always feel good once you get your heart pumpin' :) I know being really busy it's hard to squeeze this in, but once you start a schedule you will have way more energy and the decreasing lbs is a plus!

3. Z's. I have always been a napper. My mom retells the story of how I walked myself home from the park( two houses away) when I was 3 years old and my mom came home to find me in my crib. I pretty much never pass on an opportunity to catch up on sleep. But making sure you get a solid 7-9 hour night sleep is key. During the night, every part of your body rejuvenates, including your skin! Plus if you have a full day of activities the next day, you don't want to crash halfway through. Also, it is important to minimize caffeine so don't depend on caffeine instead of a full night's rest.

4. A schedule. Having your day planned out allows you to fit in lots of different activities. Once you get yourself on a schedule it is easier to accomplish a lot throughout the day! As I've mentioned, I am a planner. I am glued to my Erin Condrin daily planner which allows me to map out my entire week, day by day and hour by hour. This way I can see what the week has in store for me and when I can squeeze in time to see the girls, hangout with Kev, and catch up on any missed TV shows. (Like the Bachelor! Which I missed last week and can't wait to watch!) This also allows me to schedule in ME time which leads to me to my next point.....

5. RELAX. As sad as it is that I have to actual schedule in time to relax, it is still very important. When looking at your planner, pencil in a block of time to just hangout or do anything you wouldn't do otherwise. And DON'T make plans during that time.. unless you reschedule your relaxing time. During this time, catch up on missed tv shows, treat yourself to a shopping day or just hang out with loved ones. You will feel so much better and happier which is imperative to a healthy lifestyle.

6. And finally, indulge. If you deplete your body of any main food group it is unhealthy. As long as you don't go overboard and do everything in moderation. So, no don't break out the ice cream during a tv sesh intending to eat a few bites, and end up finishing the whole carton! I know self-control is hard sometimes! But definitely let yourself enjoy the things you love.
My treat: FRO YOOO! My treat and my obsession. I often have to remind myself that going everyday for a week is not considered moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment